Top 8 Best Online Platforms to Learn WordPress in 2020
It’s true, you can teach yourself WordPress by learning as you go. There are plenty of blogs, YouTube videos, and how-to guides available as a resource.
But is this a good use of your time?
Instead, I recommend taking a structured WordPress training course. These courses offer step-by-step training and support to help you along the way. For example, if you don’t understand something in the course you can reach out to the course creator for help.
There are many WordPress courses available to choose from. To help you, I’ve compiled a list of the best WordPress training course providers.
Let’s check it out!
Best WordPress Training Course Providers
You will find that there are paid and free training courses available. Free courses are helpful if you’re on a budget, but they tend not to offer as much support as paid courses. Whichever route you’re leaning towards, you’ll find great options in the list below.
WP101 is considered one of the most popular video tutorial series for WordPress beginners. Created in 2008, WP101 has helped more than 2 million people learn how to use WordPress. They have a lot of courses to choose from and their step-by-step videos make it easy to follow along.
WordPress Courses to Choose From:
- WordPress 101 for Beginners
- WordPress 101; Classic Editor
- Introduction to Gutenberg
- Easy Custom Forms with Ninja Forms
- How to Add an Event Calendar
- Complete Guide to Jetpack
- WooCommerce Quick Start
- The Complete Guide to WooCommerce
- The Complete Guide to Yoast SEO
- Easy Email Newsletter MailPoet
WP101 is ideal for people who want to learn WordPress but are on a busy schedule. Many of their video tutorials are less than five minutes long. And as a student, you’ll gain access to the help forum.
Cost: If you want the WordPress 101 course, you’ll only pay $19 per year. All-Access plans are $49 per year or $89 for lifetime access.
WP Apprentice is another WordPress training course provider. They offer a free course that helps you get your website up in less than 1 hour. WP Apprentice also has more courses that help you dive further into topics like SEO and eCommerce.
List of Courses:
- WordPress Quick Start
- WordPress Essentials
- Gutenberg Essentials
- Business Website Blueprint
- WordPress Business Blueprint & eCommerce Training Bundle
- SEO Fundamentals for WordPress
Included with your purchase is access to a members forum, Tune-Up Guide, WordPress Security Training, and more.
Cost: Their prices range from Free, $39, $75, and $99.
LinkedIn Learning is an online training platform. They offer a wide variety of career-boosting courses, including how to use WordPress. There are over 81 high-quality WordPress courses available and they’re divided into different levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
Example of WordPress Courses Available:
- WordPress: SEO
- WordPress 5 Essential Training
- WordPress: Workflows
- WordPress: E-commerce
- WordPress: Building a Paid Membership Site
- WordPress: Plugin Development
- WordPress: Building Child Themes
- WordPress: Developing Secure Sites
- WordPress Plugins: Analytics
If you want to use WordPress to further your career, this is a convenient way to start learning. You will need a LinkedIn account to use LinkedIn Learning.
Cost: They offer a 1-month free trial and then you’re billed $29.99 per month.
Udemy is a marketplace for course creators. This comprehensive online learning platform offers courses on many topics, including WordPress.
You have to be very selective when it comes to picking courses on Udemy. Pick a course that is current and has lots of good reviews. The length of the courses varies, too. Some have almost 100 lectures while others have less than ten.
List of Bestsellers:
- The Complete WordPress Website Business Course
- WordPress for Beginners – Master WordPress Quickly
- WordPress Theme Development with Bootstrap
- WordPress for Beginners: Create a Website Step by Step
Cost: At Udemy, you pay per course, and their prices vary. You can access some for free, while others cost $199.99.
Yoast offers free WordPress training designed for beginners. This training is great for all types of people. So if you want to start a personal blog, create an eCommerce site, or an online business this course will help you get your platform off the ground.
- Introduction to WordPress
- How to Customizing your Site
- Creating Content in the Block Editor
- Structuring Your Site
- Managing a WordPress Site
- WordPress SEO
- and more…
This online course provides you unlimited access to 3-hours of instructional videos. The course is broken down into 43 short videos. You’ll also get PDF documents of the training to help you follow along if you like to quickly review the tips.
The training offers 23 quizzes to help reinforce what you’ve learned as well. Best part… it’s free!
WPSessions offers WordPress training taught by experts. They have a growing library of training sessions and courses. The topics are on a variety of subjects such as WordPress Maintenance, SEO, Creating a Plugin, and Speed Optimization.
List of WordPress Courses:
- Your First WordPress Plugin
- Mastering Sass: From Beginner to Expert
- Using the WordPress Plugin Boilerplate
- How to Optimize WordPress Performance
- Bashing Your Way with WP-CLI
- Front-End Submission
- Filterable Archives
Cost: Memberships are $15 per month or $149 per year.
WPShout is great for people who want to learn about WordPress development.
They offer video lessons with in-depth articles on each topic. This makes it easy to go back and reference their guides whenever you need. They also include short quizzes at the end of each lesson to test your comprehension.
List of Premium Courses:
- Up and Running: Learn WordPress Development
- WordPress Security with Confidence
Cost: They offer a free introductory WordPress development course. But, Premium courses are also available, and prices start at $197 per course.
OSTraining has helped over 100,000 people with their online training programs. They also offer a library of ebooks included with your subscription.
Just like taking a course in the classroom, they provide lessons and quizzes along the way to help you retain the information you learned. When you finish each course you get a certificate of completion that you can use for your credentials.
WordPress Courses for Beginners:
- Why Should You Use WordPress
- How and Where to Install WordPress
- The Beginners Guide to WordPress
- How to Build a WordPress Portfolio Site
- How to Build a WordPress Club Site
- How to Build a WordPress Rental Site
- How to Build a WordPress Recipe Directory
- How to Build a WordPress Restaurant Site and Theme
- How to Improve SEO on WordPress Sites
- How to Speed Up WordPress Sites
- How to Keep Your WordPress Site Safe
- How to Use the BackWPup Plugin in WordPress
- How to use the BackupBuddy Plugin in WordPress
- How to Collect Stripe Payments in WordPress
- How to Build a Membership Site in WordPress
- How to Use the Easy Digital Downloads Plugin in WordPress
- How to Use WooCommerce in WordPress
- How to Use the Give Plugin in WordPress
- How to Create Custom Post Types
- How to Use the Pods Framework in WordPress
- How to Create Quick Post Types and Metaboxes in WordPress
- How to Use Jetpack Plugin in WordPress
- How to Use Gravity Forms in WordPress
- How to Use the BuddyPress Plugin in WordPress
- How to Use the NextGen Gallery in WordPress
- Getting Started with WordPress Theme Development
- How to Build WordPress Themes
WordPress Courses for Developers:
- Why Should Developers Use WordPress
- How to Use the WordPress API
- How to Use the Developer Plugin in WordPress
- How to Build a WordPress Widget
- How to Publish Your Plugin at WordPress.org
- How to Use PHP Code Sniffer in WordPress
- How to Contribute to a WordPress Plugin
- How to Develop WordPress Plugins
- How to Use DesktopServer
- How to Build Multilingual WordPress Websites
Cost: OSTraining costs $59 per year and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
Whether you’re a WordPress beginner or an experienced developer there is always something new you can learn. While learning WordPress on your own is possible, you’re better off investing in a well-structured WordPress training course. Do consider one of these WordPress course providers we’ve listed. You’ll save a lot of time and headache in the long-run.
Do you have a favourite training course or class, or any recommendations that we didn’t list?
Let us know in the comments section below!